Good writing knows no boundaries.
The IV Programme provides a valuable cultural and economic exchange between Canada’s publishing community and some of the most influential publishing figures from around the world. Since 2008, it has generated visibility and marketability for Canadian literature abroad, by acting as a Canadian rights fair, introducing international publishers to the Canadian literary scene, and strengthening relationships with international counterparts that have led to new business development initiatives and the creation of new literary works.
The IV Programme takes place every fall during the Toronto International Festival of Authors—Canada’s longest-running literary festival and one of the largest in the world—over the course of five days of structured inter-industry dialogue and events. Activities are led by distinguished professionals and include quick pitch meetings that lead to rights acquisitions of Canadian works, networking opportunities, as well as presentations on such topics as negotiation, industry trends and changes, international rights and niche publishing. Modelled on similar successful programmes in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the UK, the IV Programme operates as an informal rights fair, providing Canadian authors, publishers and agents an unprecedented opportunity in securing international rights and distribution deals. Over 300 fellows have taken part in the programme, and a dozen new fellows will be selected to take part in 2021. You can see the 2020 Fellows here.
In 2020, given the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 regulations, the IV Programme shifted to a digital platform that delivered the Programme in a reimagined virtual landscape. As future travel and quarantine regulations in Canada remain uncertain, the 2021 IV Programme is expected to take place virtually once again. The 14th edition of the IV Programme will take place between October 25–29, 2021.
IV Programme Committee
- Iris Tupholme (Chair), Senior Vice President and Executive Publisher, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Jamaal Azeez, Events Coordinator, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Jennifer Ball, Events Coordinator, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Erin Balser, Producer, CBC Books
- Emily Ferko, Sales and Rights Director, ECW Press
- Gillian Fizet, Executive Director, Canada FBM2020
- Carolyn Forde, Senior Agent, Transatlantic Agency
- Scott Fraser, President/Publisher, Dundurn Press
- Maria Golikova, Managing Editor, House of Anansi Press
- Joe Lee, Assistant Editor, McClelland & Stewart
- Hazel Millar, Co-publisher, Book*Hug Press
- Jay MillAr, Co-publisher, Book*Hug Press
- Christine Saratsiotis, Deputy Director, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Deborah Sun de la Cruz, Assistant Editor, Penguin Random House Canada
- Sarah St. Pierre, Senior Editor, Simon and Schuster
- Synora Van Drine, Sales Manager, Portage & Main Press
- Dan Wells, Publisher, Biblioasis
- Janie Yoon, Executive Editor, Simon and Schuster Canada
The IV Programme is gratefully supported by: