Good writing knows no boundaries.
The International Visitors (IV) Programme provides a valuable cultural and economic exchange between Canada’s publishing community and some of the most influential publishing figures from around the world. Since 2008, it has generated visibility and marketability for Canadian literature abroad, by acting as a Canadian rights fair, introducing international publishers to the Canadian literary scene, and strengthening relationships with international counterparts that have led to new business development initiatives and the creation of new literary works.
The IV Programme takes place every fall during the Toronto International Festival of Authors — Canada’s longest-running literary festival and one of the largest in the world — over the course of five days of structured inter-industry dialogue and events. Activities are led by distinguished professionals and include quick pitch meetings that lead to rights acquisitions of Canadian works, networking opportunities, as well as presentations on such topics as negotiation, industry trends and changes, international rights and niche publishing. Modelled on similar successful programmes in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the UK, the IV Programme operates as an informal rights fair, providing Canadian authors, publishers and agents an unprecedented opportunity in securing international rights and distribution deals. Over 300 fellows have taken part in the programme, and a dozen new fellows have been selected to take part in 2021.
The 14th edition of the IV Programme will take place virtually between October 25–29, 2021.
Meet the 2021 IV Programme participants
Parisa Ebrahimi, Senior Editor, Hogarth, PRH (US)
Julie Paludan-Müller, Editorial Director, Gads Forlag (Denmark)
Geneviève Pigeon, President (L’instant même, Quebec, Canada)
Canadian Editorial Fellow
IV Programme Committee
- Carolyn Forde (Chair), Partner, Senior Literary Agent & International Rights Director, Transatlantic Agency
- Jennifer Ball, Senior Event Producer, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Erin Balser, Producer, CBC Books
- Emily Ferko, Sales and Rights Director, ECW Press
- Scott Fraser, President/Publisher, Dundurn Press
- Maria Golikova, Senior Managing Editor, Doubleday Canada, Penguin Random House Canada
- Roland Gulliver, Director, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Joe Lee, Assistant Editor, McClelland & Stewart
- Hazel Millar, Co-publisher, Book*Hug Press
- Jay MillAr, Co-publisher, Book*Hug Press
- Eirini Moschaki, Development Officer, Grants and Government Relations, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Christine Saratsiotis, Deputy Director, Toronto International Festival of Authors
- Deborah Sun de la Cruz, Assistant Editor, Penguin Random House Canada
- Iris Tupholme, SVP, Executive Publisher, HarperCollins Canada
- Synora Van Drine, Sales Manager, Portage & Main Press
- Dan Wells, Publisher, Biblioasis
- Janie Yoon, Executive Editor, Simon and Schuster Canada
The IV Programme is gratefully supported by: