“Build an organization that is growth-minded, values-based and innovative using the six steps to ‘responsible impact’”, says Michael ‘Piecez’ Prosserman author of Building Unity: Leading a Non-Profit from Spark to Succession. An instructor at the University of Toronto, and having travelled the world winning over twenty-six B-Boy battles, Prosserman, a professional B-Boy (breakdancer) at 16 soon found new opportunities grow from his passion for Hip Hop. His team grew UNITY: an international mental health charity focused on helping over a quarter of a million young people around the world.
Through his research and discovery, Prosserman highlights six key behaviours that create what he calls, “responsible impact”: a way to build “an organization that is growth-minded, values-based, and reflective of the needs of its community” (ECW). From his own evolution and life, Prosserman uses his experiences as a breakdancer to demonstrate the tools necessary in order to build a successful and sustainable non-profit.
Six steps to discovering “responsible impact”:
- Spark is the inspiration, the big “why,” the motivation to wake up and do something.
- Build is the testing ground to clarify ideas, understand community needs, and challenge assumptions.
- Trust involves building the culture of your organization, leading by example, and hiring people with dreams. Trust sets the stage for growth by empowering awesome people.
- Grow is about finding the right size for your organization to create a responsible impact.
- Evolve is knowing when to step back so others can step forward by building a succession plan that leaves your organization in good hands.
- Re-Ignite is building from past experience and lighting the next spark within yourself.
His new book, Building Unity: Leading a Non-Profit from Spark to Succession includes practical advice, tools, stories and steps to creating responsible impact. Michael serves on the boards of several charities including Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto, JAYU and RISE Arts and Community Services.
Celebrate at the official book launch party for Building Unity: Leading a Non-Profit From Spark to Succession by Michael ‘Piecez’ Prosserman, co-hosted by Testament and David Delisca, with DJ Iced Misto. This Live Streamed party will be filled with top Unity performances, book readings, international dance cyphers, spoken word, graffiti, DJs, interactive Q&As with prizes, special guests and more.
Author of Building Unity: Leading a Non-Profit from Spark to Succession, Michael ‘Piecez’ Prosserman found his passion for breakdancing at a very young age. By the time he was three, Michael was already standing on his head while watching Saturday morning cartoons. Michael is a university instructor, mental health advocate, and professional speaker, specializing in start-ups, team culture, fundraising and succession. He is the founder of UNITY Charity and EPIC Leadership. He lives in Toronto, Ontario.
Toronto Lit Up is a three year initiative, spearheaded by the Toronto International Festival of Authors and the Toronto Arts Council, designed to spotlight Toronto’s writers and empower local artists with career-building opportunities. Click here for more information.