Welcome to the IV Programme
What to expect if you are a Canadian publisher:
- Expand your reach by connecting with influential publishing figures from around the world in both formal and informal settings;
- Pitch Canadian works by award-winning authors and up-and-coming literary talents to potential buyers;
- Share best-practices and insights about the Canadian publishing industry with senior editors, literary agents and festival directors;
- Host a social event for the international Fellows and Distinguished Guests;
- Enjoy free industry related events, such as the IV Award Presentation, Keynote and Panel.
What to expect if you are an IV Fellow or Distinguished Guest:
- You will learn all you need to know about the Canadian publishing industry through networking events, site visits to different publishing houses, social and Festival events;
- You will make connections with your Canadian peers and be pitched several titles written by established and emerging Canadian authors;
- You will attend the IV Award Presentation, Keynote and Panel where participants will discuss current industry issues;
- You will have full access to all public and private Festival events and have a chance to enjoy interviews, panel discussions, literary cabarets, readings, theatrical adaptations featuring the best contemporary writers of our time.
- You will also enjoy a day-trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Most importantly, you will create business ties with your Canadian counterparts that you further your portfolio.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
General queries about the Programme should be sent to email@example.com.
Who gets invited?
The IV Programme extends invitations to IV Fellows as well as Distinguished Guests recommended by Canadian publishing industry professionals. The IV Committee reserves the right to determine the final selection of both groups of guests.
Each year, the IV Programme invites a limited number of acquiring editors and literary scouts to join the Programme as Fellows. The IV Programme pays for airfare, hotel accommodation and meals as well as transportation to and from the airport and to events. Funding is obtained through various domestic and international funding bodies. IV Fellows participate in all IV events – including quick-pitch meetings with literary agents, rights managers, publishers and editors – and may be asked to participate in an industry event. IV Fellows’ schedules consist largely of appointments set up through the Programme. However, they will have the opportunity to set up additional appointments on the final day of the Programme. IV Fellows enjoy free access to all Festival events.
The IV Programme invites senior publishing executives, literary festival directors, international literary journalists, international government representatives and literary agents to join our Programme. The IV Programme is pleased to coordinate accommodation arrangements as well as organize appointments during the visit for Distinguished Guests. Distinguished Guests pay their own airfare to and from Toronto. Guests are invited to all IV Programme events but are free to book their own appointments and set their own schedule.
Can I arrive earlier or stay longer than the official Programme?
Of course, but IV Fellows and Distinguished Guests will be responsible for their own accommodation costs outside the official Programme dates.
Who covers IV Fellows’ and Distinguished Guests’ transportation and accommodation?
If you are coming as an IV Fellow, we will cover your airfare, accommodation, meals, and ground transportation costs. If you are coming as a Distinguished Guest, you will be responsible for your airfare while we cover your accommodation, meals and ground transportation costs. Both IV Fellows and Distinguished Guests are invited to all TIFA onstage and special industry events.
Can IV Fellows or Distinguished Guests stay in a different hotel?
We strongly encourage you to stay at the official IV Programme hotel. Your scheduled events will take place in close proximity to the official hotel, and staying in the same hotel as the Festival authors will help you get the most out of your time here. If you do choose to stay at an alternative hotel, you will be required to cover your own accommodation and transportation costs during this time.
I’m a Canadian publisher/agent. How do I set up quick-pitch meetings with the IV Fellows and Distinguished Guests?
An invitation to attend meetings with the IV Fellows will be sent out by the organizing committee in September with details of when meetings take place and how to schedule one through us. A sub-committee is set up to schedule meetings for Distinguished Guests. If you would like to arrange a meeting with a Distinguished Guest, please contact us, but be aware that Distinguished Guests are in charge of their own schedules and may arrange and decline meetings as they wish.
How can I submit my own name for consideration as an IV Fellow or a Canadian Fellow?
You can click here for more info.
How is the IV Programme funded?
The IV Programme is grateful to Ontario Creates through its Industry Development Programme and the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Book Fund for funding that helps to make this Programme possible. The IV Committee would also like to thank the Toronto International Festival of Authors for supporting the Programme as part of the Festival and the Canadian publishing industry for its ongoing support and sponsorship of individual events.
For more information on how to sponsor a breakfast, lunch, dinner or industry panel, help out with the Programme, or be on the IV organizing committee, please contact the organizing committee: firstname.lastname@example.org